I will take part in a three day event FL∆G: re-turning the educational turn
Education is increasingly a key concern for contemporary art practice and its exhibitionary institutions; recent events include Documenta 12 and United Nations Plaza, the publication of Art School, exhibitions such as A.C.A.D.E.M.Y and events covened by the Serpentine and Hayward Gallery like de-schooling society, could all be defined as art turning educational.
On the one hand, claiming pedagogic practices as a form of art for exhibition could be seen as a way of idealising art education, as an attempt to aestheticise education for exhibition. On the other hand, it could be seen as a form of engaged, dematerialised and participatory art practice. Regardless of the hand we choose, the proliferation of interest in the educational turn, demonstrates a new and widespread response within exhibitionary institutions, art practice itself and sites of art education for urgent self-examination.
FL∆G: through a three-day intervention into the public gallery that is the Triangle Space, returns, explores and plays with the educational turn by re-turning the exploration of art and pedagogy to the art educational institution itself, in this case Chelsea College of Art and Design.
The event is a shared venture amongst participants in dialogue with each other and the institution, the latter understood as both a physical entity and as a discursive arena.
Speakers from inside and outside the institutions of art educational are invited to explore the educational turn within a setting of artworks and exhibition. Key issues for pedagogic practice are methods and sites of knowledge-transfer, the artist as educator, collaboration and participation and the idealisation of art education.
FL∆G intends to encourage a process-based approach, stimulating dialogue rather than aiming at conclusions.
London SW1P 4JU
- Art Monthly special issue on Education October 2008 (Issue 320).
- Frieze Magazine Issue 101 – 2006.
- Houghton, Nicholas and Fortnum, Rebecca (2007) Teaching Landscapes, Report by the Fine Art Group,The Teaching Landscape in Creative Subjects.
- Podesva, Karen. (2007), 'A pedagogical turn', The Fillip Review, available online at: 'A pedagogical turn'.
- Salon Discussion: 'You Talkin' to me? Why art is turning to education' 14 July 2008 ICA.
- Vidokle, Anton. (2006), Exhibition as School in a Divided City (Manifesta).
- United Nations Plaza project initiated by Anton Vidolke after the cancellation of Manifesta 6.
- E-Flux Online network for arts professionals and institutions.
- Summit Non aligned initiatives in education culture.